This page is meant to show the lifetime of a planet: steps required from the moment humans want step foot on a planet, during research and terraforming processes, the colonization divided in a few steps and all up to the moment when the planet is abandoned.
Since the steps and processes involved are highly complex and a single article cannot contain all, this page will have multiple links to pages that are to be added.
Research phase Edit
See also: Research Station
During this phase, scientists will send manned and unmanned probes to the planet and in orbit, will conduct complex geological surveys and will come to a plan, showing if and how a planet or moon can be terraformed.
Research phase would probably last a few years.
Terraforming phase Edit
See also: Terraforming Plant.
During this phase, the planet or moon is gradually transformed from what it were into a new Earth. Terraforming is very complex and requires several different, but interconnected processes:
- The first step is Creating An Atmosphere, if the planet lacks none.
- The second step is Adjusting Temperature, which is possible with Greenhouse Gases, Anti Greenhouse Technology and Anti Greenhouse Gasses or Micro Helium Balloons.
- The third step is Creating Oceans (if there are no oceans on the planet).
- The 4th step is Ameliorating The Atmosphere. Depending on conditions, this can be the 5th step and the 5th step becomes the 4th.
- The 5th step is the amelioration of Geography, which follows 5 different models:
- The 6th step is improving soil and ocean chemical composition. See Minerals for more details.
- Finally, the 7th step is Insertion Of Earth-like Life. See also Plants on new worlds and Agriculture.
Adjusting temperature: during all processes Creating an atmosphere: 2 to 15 years Creating oceans: 2 to 10 additional years Ameliorating atmosphere: 13 to 50 years Ameliorating Geography: 0 to 3 additional years Improving soil and ocean salts: 0 to 20 years Inserting life: 5 to 50 years
Total: 23 to 148 Earth years.
Colonization phase Edit
During this phase, people come and create their settlements. There are several sub-phases, witch can last from years to millennia:
- Early Planetary Colonization
- Advanced Planetary Colonization
- Planetary Colonization At Apogee
- Planetary Overpopulation
- Planetary Colonization Decline
Destruction phase Edit
During this phase, since Maintaining a terrafomed world is sometimes expensive, at some point the costs involved will be too high. Also, Future wars can destroy a planet easy. As the planet becomes uninhabitable, settlers will move away.